Loralai is a district in the centre of Balochistan province of Pakistan. Loralai district was created on October, 1903. Loralai town is the district headquarters. Loralai was further partitioned in 1992 when Musakhail and Barkhan were given the status of separate administrative districts.
In 1545 Duki, a dependency of the Kandahar province was conferred upon Mir Sayyid Ali by the Mughal Emperor Humayun. The province of Kandahar continued under Mughals until the year 1559, when it passed into the hands of the Safavids Kings of Persia and remained under their control until 1595. In 1595, it was recaptured by Emperor Akbar the Great. During Akbar’s reign the territory of Duki which was generally garrisoned, formed an eastern dependency of the Kandahar Province and provided a contingent of 500 horses and 1,000-foot (300 m) soldiers. In 1622 Kandahar again passed back to the Safavids.
In 1653, Emperor Shah Jahan sent a large expedition under his eldest son, Dara-Shikoh, to regain Kandahar, but in vain. This was the last attempt on the part of the Mughal king’s to regain Kandahar, which was now lost to them forever.
Mir Wais Ghilzai or Khilji established Ghilzai/Khilji power in Kandahar around 1709. After 30 years of supremacy the Ghilzai/Khilji power gave way to Nadir Shah who captured it after a lengthy struggle in 1737.
However, in 1747, Nadir Shah was assassinated and Ahmad Shah Durrani took over. The Durranis were followed in about 1826, by the Barakzai under Dost Mohammad Khan. Almost the whole of the Loralai District remained under this dynasty till 1879. In 1879, Duki and the Thal Chotiali country with other parts of Balochistan passed into the hands of the British.
In 1879, at the close of the first phase of Afghan war a British contingent while returning from Kandahar was attacked by a large body of tribesmen from the Zhob and Bori valley at Baghao under the command of Shah Jahan (chief of Zhob). However they were defeated.
In 1881, Thal Chotiali (Sibi) which included Duki was made Sub district of the Harnai political Agency. In 1881 inhabitants of Sanjavi were brought under British subjugation.
In October 1884 a force comprising 4800 men moved into Bori (Loralai) valley and the mission was completely successful. In the following years it was decided that a frontier road should be constructed from Dera Ghazi Khan to Pishin through Loralai.
The cantonment from Duki was accordingly moved in 1886 to Loralai and Mil posts were stationed at Sanjavi, Mekhtar and Kingri. The Head Quarter’s of Assistant Political Agent at Duki was also changed to Loralai.
In Nov 1887, Duki and Thal Chotiali (Sibi) were declared parts of British India and for the purpose of administration; the designation of the Political Agent was changed to that of Deputy Commissioner.
In 1888, Sir Robert Sandeman proceeded with a small force through Musa Khel to Southern Zhob. Ultimately this led to the occupation of the Zhob valley in 1889. Loralai town and the cantonment remained under the Thal Chotiali Dist until 1894, when it became part of Zhob Agency.
In October 1903 the Thal Chotali and Zhob Agencies were remodeled and the name of the former was changed to Sibi District and so a new District, Loralai was created.
At the end of this war in 1881-82 the British forces entered Loralai city and they occupied the mostly areas of Bori, Duki, Sanjavi and Mekhtar.
Many kinds of fruits and vegetables are cultivated in this district. Loralai is especially famous for its almond and apple production. Loralai is also rich in marble and its marble tiles are gaining popularity throughout the country. A lot of marble trimming factories have been established in the district and it now provides marble tiles to various parts of the country. The major source of income for the common inhabitants is agriculture and farming as well as the marble industry.
Barkhan District is a district in the north-East of the Balochistan province of Pakistan. It was given the status of a district on 31 December 1991. The livelihood of the people in this district is based on agriculture and livestock. The language spoken in this district is Khetrani, which is a dialect of Sindhi
Wheat, tomatoes, fodder, vegetable, jawar, onion, garlic, and melon, as well as apples, almonds, plums, apricots, pomegranates and peaches are grown here.